The Psalm of the Cross
September 25, 2016 Series: Psalms
Topic: Psalms Passage: Psalm 22
Most modern writers on the psalms try to find a setting for them either in the life of David, if they believe David was the writer of that psalm, or on the experience of some other writer. But it is impossible to do this with Psalm 22. It is a description of an execution, particularly a crucifixion. Crucifixion was not practiced in the time of David or for many centuries afterward. So this is not an account of an ancient persons suffering but a prophetic picture of the suffering Savior on the cross.
• Jesus meditating on Psalm 22 from the cross
1. Jesus cries out, “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani”
2. Jesus exclaims, “I am thirsty”
3. Jesus exclaims, “It is finished!”
• The suffering Savior
1. The cry of the forsaken (vs. 1-2)
2. Past experience (vs. 3-5)
3. A mockery of God’s purpose (vs. 6-8)
4. The heart remembered (vs. 9-11)
5. Physical suffering (vs. 12-18)
6. The turning point (vs. 19-21)
• He died for me!